The goal of this program is to teach hygienists how to screen for and refer patients with sleep-related breathing disorders (SRBDs) and temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMD), and to understand their role on the treatment team. Dental hygienists are uniquely placed as primary care clinicians who see patients on a regular basis, making them instrumental in identifying patients with SRBDs and TMD.
After completing the Hygienists' program, you will have learned:
- The basics of normal sleep, SRBDs, and TMD;
- To screen their patients for possible SRBDs and TMD;
- To work as part of the medical/dental team in the treatment of patients with SRBDs and TMD.
The Hygienists program is broken into four modules:
- The Dental Hygienist’s Role in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Sleep Disordered Breathing (Part 1)
- The Dental Hygienist’s Role in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Sleep Disordered Breathing and Part 2);
- TMD for Hygienists (Part 1); and
- TMD for Hygienists (Part 2)
Program length: 4 hours